Thursday, July 31, 2008

Retain and Train

As you all know, we moved down here because Josh got a job as Store Manager for The Buckle. It all started coming together when we first moved down here and Josh had to get his office put together and organize the things that had already arrived. He was there everyday all day and the store hadn't even opened yet. If any of you know Josh, organizing is not his strong point so he called me in to help him out. Yes, I went in and worked for free to help him get everything started. But when Darren, his district manager came in and asked why I wasn't getting paid to do all the work I had been doing; he set me up with a store number and from then on all the hard work I was doing was making us some money. Although my hard work didn't compare to the physical and emotional work Josh was doing: 12 hour days full of interviews and people constantly asking him what to do next. The store wasn't even open yet and there he was day in and day out doing what he does best, well one of the many things he does best. As I watched him work (while I was working too) it gave me a greater appreciation for the job he has and the way he has always provided for our family. He went through job after job until he found this one. One he loves and is really great at. He is passionate about the job his new team and the store. He has been working 13-14 hour days and isn't really complaining because he knows that this hard work is going to pay off. His team is doing great, and I am still a part of it... and I LOVE it! I love going in and working with such an awesome manager and husband. He runs his team with care and firmness.

He is awesome, and I am so proud of him. I am so proud of the man he is and the husband he is and the father he is.

Not only is his store full of a great team and an awesome manager (and an awesome merchandiser: which would be me) but they are really showing how awesome they are in the numbers they are pulling in. Most of these people have never worked in sales positions before, but they are doing so well and actually helping Josh's store to beat out his old store back home in Chattanooga and another store in Douglasville. These stores are higher volume than what Josh's store is projected to be (at least in its first year) but they are still no match for my husband! Hopefully soon he will be able to take a break from the 13-14 hour days and catch up on his rest.

The title of this blog is taken from a quote Josh uses with his team. After he teaches one person on the team how to do something new he always ends with, "Retain and Train." This is just one of the many ways he helps motivate and teach his team. So now I hear them repeating it and sharing with each other the new things they have learned, isn't it so cool to watch someone you love lead a group of people so well? Did I mention I was so proud of him?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going well for Josh and the new store. I hope he gets a break soon! I know you must be so proud of him.

kathy said...

We are so proud of Josh. From the very beginning of our life with Josh, we have been amazed at the gifts and talents the Lord has blessed him with and we know there is so much more. We also see the gifts and talents inside of you! We are thankful that God put you in Josh's life and in ours, too! We love you all and pray everyday for the Lord's blessings and purposes in your lives!