Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dorsal Fins or Tricks?








Earlier this week Josh and I bought tickets for a boat ride to see the dolphins. We thought to ourselves how much the kids would enjoy seeing dolphins jump and flip around, so we went ahead and pumped them up for the trip. Jacob has been talking about riding on a boat to see dolphins all week long, and quite frankly I have been pretty stoked about it also. So today was the day we picked for the boat ride. It was a gorgeous day, bright blue skies, sun beating down and the water was pretty calm. We head down to Winston Salem Avenue to board the Rudee Dolphin Boat and head out onto open waters. We were warned to get there 30 minutes early... we got great seats but had the sun beating down on us until we were sweating and decided to move downstairs under the canopy. The boys are so excited and Jacob cannot wait to see the dolphins and then we hear the announcer lady say, "This sure is an unlucky crew, we can't seem to find any dolphins anywhere!" Josh goes, "Well we better be lucky enough to get a refund!" Finally we hear her tell us to turn to 10:00 (which of course Josh and I have no idea what direction that is) because there is a group of dolphins. All we saw were the dorsel fins... these were definitely not trained dolphins because they did none of the fun things I thought they should do for the boys like jump up and do flips and splash the boat... not they just showed us their fins if we were lucky... which there are no two the same of. The lady even says you can take a picture of one and identify it by the fin. Who cares... I wanted to see tricks. I expressed these feelings to Josh and he brought me back down to Earth by saying, "Courtney, this is not Sea World." I guess if you want tricks thats where you have to go. The boys did love seeing the fins and even got a kick out of them. All in all they had a great time... wish there had been a little more excitement!

PS You moms will appreciate this: I had to change a bad diaper in a bathroom the size of an airplane bathroom while going over huge waves... don't ask me how I did it, but I'm sure you can picture it!

2 comments:

Claire said...

Looks like fun. The diaper story is AWESOME! Miss you guys.

kathy said...

Ohhh...I know how disappointing it is when you expect something to be different than it actually is....but it looks like the boys had a great time, anyway! I'm sure they just loved the boat!! :) Glad you had such a good time on your vacation...look forward to seeing you guys soon! Love you all!!