Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Train Table


Last night I began to make out a list of things for us to get done today. We started with # 3 on the list which was "put together Jacob's train table." For some reason we have been putting this off since Jacob's second birthday, which was back in April, and I now know why. As soon as Josh woke up around 9:00 I begged him to get started on it. First off I opened the box upside down, which was a foreshadowing to the awful event to come. The kids were all over the pieces and misplacing everything so Josh had me take them into the living room to watch Cars while he finished putting it together. I told him to yell for me if he needed help. About 30 minutes later he calls out my name so I go running in to help. All he needed me to do was hold something in place, but instead of just standing there I proceed to "help" by dropping the screw into the wrong hole and telling Josh we needed to turn the table over to get it out. Of course I decided to turn it over myself without waiting on his help and the cheap (what I call something I break) cardboard ripped open revealing the entire screw, which in turn would not hold it together. So with some quick patchwork (duct tape)... we were back in business! By this time the kids were going crazy and throwing all the pieces everywhere so once again I take the kids back into the living room while Josh continues with the table. At this point crazy was not the word for it, it was past nap time and we couldn't put them to bed because the room we were putting the table together in was their room with their beds. Finally around 12:00 pm (3 hours later) the table was assembled with all the tracks and buildings in the right places and we unveiled it for the kids to play with. First thing Caden did was pick up the tracks and started throwing them across the room while Jacob destroyed the train which is now not automatic but manual. So we move on to lunch time and then a nap.
After lunch Josh tries to go settle down, but to his surprise I was ready to move on to # 2 on the list: "Put up towel rack." After getting his tools out again we move to our bedroom to assemble the rack. Pretty much everything in our new apartment has had to be assembled by us, and Josh was not excited about this one, being that it was his job to assemble everything else. (As I am typing this Jacob is telling on Caden for destroying the train tracks.) During the process of screwing the wall mounts into the wall for the towel rack I hear Josh say, "they are breaking." As I roll over and begin laughing hysterically he finishes with, "I am cutting them off." Yet another short cut we have taken while assembling our apartment. But the rack is level and so far is holding all the things on it we planned for it to. We have decided to leave it here once we leave because we don't want to bother taking it back apart.
I have decided to leave #1: "Put up living room mirror," on the list for tomorrow in hopes that we can get over the stress #2 and #4 caused us. Once again we love you all and miss you terribly!

1 comments:

John said...

Too much! Thx for the narrative. Love, Dad